Saturday, May 05, 2007

I have been here before…..and its not the same anymore….

Its really funny how we would feel two completely different set of emotions for the same situation or experience spread apart in time. I still remember the last time I landed on this foreign soil – USA – Jan 18 2006. It was very different then, I would have imagined the same feelings this time around too but I guess I am not even close. The first time around I was really excited, a bit scared and happy. I was looking forward to getting here, as I had been waiting for it for a very long time, almost 6-7months. Today I wasn’t even looking forward to it. I wouldn’t have boarded the plane if I wouldn’t have had to, so much for a free soul. I have always believed that I would live my life on my terms but still at times I find myself doing things which I wouldn’t have wanted to do.

The charm is gone, the anxiety is still there but due to other reasons. I know I know I am cribbing a bit here, but cmon this is my blog afterall . I guess this time its not the same due to a lot of reasons, I cant put it to just one. I love Bombay (Mumbai if you prefer to call it that) have been fascinated by the city for over 25years. I guess you always have a special bonding with the city/town/village you are born in. I would have loved to do a lot of stuff in Bombay on this trip but then time was not on my side. I did most of the things that I wanted to and trust me all of those were related to food. Cmon if you have lived in the city you cant deny the zillions of food joints, ranging from a small cart famous for tea to a dhaba to a restaurant and ofcourse home. Lekin time kitna hi kyon na ho kam pad hi jata hai!!

I really cant understand what makes people from India choose to settle here, I know they too don’t understand what makes people like me choose to settle in India. The last time I came here I was looking forward to go places and enjoy my time. This time its not the same as I have already seen a lot of places and done all the fun sports and after a while you don’t feel like doing the same anymore. Now I guess I am also thinking a bit more seriously about my future, my career options, my life personal and professional and much more. Not that I have a very clear idea of what I want to do, I haven’t been clearer about this kind of stuff since my 12th grade. That time I was determined to get into a good engineering college and make an engineer out of myself. With that done I had achieved what I wanted but I never set up new goals for me, or maybe I did but I never worked towards achieving them. When I look back I am not sure why this happened and there is no one else but me who’s responsible for it. But I guess once you make a mistake you learn much more about not making it again. Do I regret any of it, no I don’t. Infact I am happy I have made all the choices that I have till date, immaterial of weather the outcome has been good or bad. I am pretty sure if I were to press a restart button in my life I would reach the same place as I have today, nothing would be different this time either or maybe it would….??